What is A Course in Miracles?
A Course in Miracles (ACIM) is a complete, spiritual, mind training tool that teaches the way to love and inner peace through Quantum Forgiveness. The perennial wisdom of ACIM underlies all non-dual spiritual teachings. Through applying the teachings in daily life, one’s thought system is reversed from the ego’s fear-based thinking, to a thought system based on love. The Course teaches discernment between illusions and truth, fear and love, the ego and the Holy Spirit. It is also a transformational, meditation program, and it uses relationships as a means for practicing forgiveness and learning how to be of true service beyond the perception of suffering. It is a pathway of deepening in devotion to Christ, which is our true Identity. The Course contains a 365 Lesson Workbook, a comprehensive Text, and a Manual for Teachers.
ACIM is a volume of written materials arranged as a self-study course designed to bring the student into a consistent state of peace and happiness. It was initially scribed and edited during the years of 1965-1972 by two psychology professors at Columbia University: Helen Schucman and Bill Thetford. With the aid of Ken Wapnick, Judith and Robert Skutch, and philanthropist Reed Erickson, the Course was published in 1976 and has gone on to sell over 2.5 million copies in 20+ languages.
Watch this great video in which David Hoffmeister also answers the question of “What is A Course in Miracles?”
A Course in Miracles is a symbol, appearing in awareness to the mind that believes in symbols and has called for healing. It provides a clear and practical approach to coming into an experience that goes far beyond concepts.
The Course is comprised of three books and two pamphlets (supplements):
- The Text – 622 pages laying out the concepts upon which the Course is based.
- The Workbook – 365 lessons presented in a practical format, encouraging students to simply apply the ideas to the best of their ability without making exceptions.
- The Manual for Teachers – Consists of a glossary-style “Clarification of Terms” as well as a series of questions and answers intended to help deepen the understanding of the concepts learned in the Text and Workbook.
- Supplements – Psychotherapy: Purpose, Process and Practice and The Song of Prayer: Prayer, Forgiveness, Healing provide further application of the Course’s teachings, specifically in relation to the field of psychotherapy and the modality of prayer.
Moment by moment the Holy Spirit will work with your beliefs, taking you step by step as you
unwind your mind from the many false concepts that you believe keep you safe and make you
happy. Only the release from these false beliefs can bring you true happiness and lasting peace.
– David Hoffmeister, Unwind Your Mind Back to God